"I never told anyone..." & other Found First Lines

Start a story or stories with the following lines: “I never told anyone…” “I did tell one person. God help me. She/he …” “I never told anyone, but I’ll tell you…” This writing exercise is from Dorothy Allison, collected in Naming the World and Other Exercises for the Creative Writer, edited by Bret Anthony Johnson. Naming the World and Other Exercises for the Creative Writer The book is a collection of writing exercises taken from writers including Joyce Carol Oates, Tom Robbins, Elizabeth Strout and Ann Packer, among others. Include are exercises on Getting Started, Character, Point of View and Tone, Plot and Narrative, Dialogue and Voice, Descriptive Language, Revision & Daily Warm-ups. It's a great book if you’re searching for writing exercises to get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment